More times than not – I crave a savory breakfast over a sweet one. And sometimes just having scrambled eggs and toast gets boring. Cue instant polenta! This is a delicious savory breakfast idea – polenta with peppers and chicken sausage!
What is Polenta?
Frequently you will find polenta already made – in a tube, that you can slice and saute. Polenta is a dish of cornmeal porridge that originated among farmers in Northern Italy. Today, it’s a staple on many Italian American tables and Italian and modern American restaurant menus alike. And fun fact – polenta is gluten free!
It’s similar to grits – but Polenta is made from flint corn, while grits are made from dent corn. Flint corn contains less starch than dent corn, which is why cooked polenta is less creamy than cooked grits – and why polenta doesn’t need to be stirred as frequently as grits during cooking. (Source Food TV Network).
The type of polenta I’m using in this recipe – is Instant Polenta – you prepare it by adding hot water or broth and heating in the microwave or on the stove.
What kind of sausages do I use to make this savory breakfast idea?
It’s no secret that my TOP CHOICE for sausages are a brand that is from my hometown of Chicago called AmyLu Foods. They specifically make Chicken sausages in tons of flavors. I buy them pretty much every week I go to the store.
Here is a link on where to buy in your area. They are lower in fat and calories than traditional sausage and the flavors are out of this world! My favorites are the andouille and chipotle.
Savory Breakfast Idea – Polenta with peppers and chicken sausage!
- 4 tbsp Instant polenta
- 1 cup water or chicken or veggie broth
- 1 AmyLu Foods chipotle chicken sausage sliced
- 4 baby bell peppers chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 laughing cow cheddar cheese wedge
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, add 4 tablepsoons of instant polenta and 1 cup of water. Microwave for 2 minutes.
- While the polenta is cooking, chop your veggies and chicken sausage.
- Remove the polenta from the microwave. Place a plate over the bowl, to let the polenta set up and get firmer.
- In a small skillet, add the chicken sausage and vegetables and saute until golden brown.
- Add the laughing cow cheese wedge to the polenta and stir to melt the cheese.
- Add salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to the polenta.
- Place the cooked veggies/chicken sausage on top of the polenta.
For my Weight Watcher friends – this whole bowl is only 6 personal points for me – 4 points for the polenta and 2 points for the chicken sausage! Whoop! Definitely tag me if you make this on Instagram @jenncooks
Here are some other recipes you might like!
Let me know if you try this and tag me on Instagram @jenncooks