I can’t wait for you to try my Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipe!
If you are looking for a meal prep idea – or having guests stay at your house – I highly recommend this recipe.
It’s mostly hands off – just a little bit of prep work and for me its a great way to use up vegetables in my fridge.
The vegetables I used can definitely be swapped out for others you like – I just used what I had on hand.
This is a lightened up version of a breakfast casserole my Mom would make for special occassions.
My mom’s casserole had sausage, eggs, and lots of cheese! (and was delicious!)
My version is a little healthier and Weight Watcher friendly!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 tomato diced
- 6 baby bell peppers diced
- 1/4 red onion diced
- handful fresh broccoli chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup green salsa (could use red salsa instead!)
- 1 pita torn into pieces
- 5 eggs
- Splash unsweetened almond milk
- 3 links Amy Lu brand chicken sausages
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup Shredded mozarella cheese
- On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper add the vegetables and sprinkle with the seasonings. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir to combine.
- Roast vegetables for 25 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool
- In a casserole dish (9×13) coated with cooking spray – place the potatoes in first.
- Add the torn pita bread around the casserole dish
- Roughly chop the roasted vegetables and add to the casserole dish
- Next add the 3 links of chicken sausage – cut into bite sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, salsa, almond milk – whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, add the cheese on top
- At this point, you can cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Or – you can bake immediately – 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes – until the eggs are set and its lightly browned.
Reheating from fridge or freezer
If you are cooking this from the fridge – remove the casserole at least 30 minutes so it’s not so cold going into the oven.
I have frozen individual pieces in the freezer.
Either defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat for 10-12 minutes at 350.
I’ve also heated it from frozen in my oven and air fryer – just heat a few minutes longer if reheating from frozen.
Check out these other breakfast recipes!
Tag me on Instagram @jenncooks if you make this – I would love to see your version!