The breakfasts I mostly lean towards are 95% savory vs. sweet and something about a savory cheesy egg and chicken sausage skillet breakfast makes me feel like I’m ordering breakfast from a diner!
Over the weekend, I visited a farm by my house and bought fresh eggs for the first time in my life! I’ve always bought eggs from the grocery store – and they did not dissapoint! Definitely going to be adding these to my weekly trip there.
What’s in my skillet?
- fresh eggs
- shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- chicken andouille sausage
- vegetables from the farmers market (peppers, green onions)
Adding vegetables to my meals
One thing I’m concentrating now is adding vegetables to every meal – the more the better! In this skillet I added a small green pepper and 3 green onions, plus 3 baby bell peppers. My fovorite is adding the vegetables first to the skillet to really get a good color on them before adding the rest of the ingredients.
What kind of chicken sausage do I use?
The next time you are at the store – check for the brand AmyLu Foods. AmyLu Foods is a chicago based company – however they are sold all over the United States. Lots of different flavors too! Not only do they sell Chicken sausages, but also chicken meatballs, burgers and bacon too! (most of AmyLu products are only 2-4 points on Weight Watchers).
The other brand I love is Gilberts Craft Sausages. They are also sold at most grocery stores in the US. I buy the andouille sausage flavor often – other favorites are the Tuscan – with parmesan cheese and oregano or the ancho queso – with ancho and poblano chiles and chihuahua style cheese! (All sausages are only 3 points on Weight Watchers).
Savory Cheesy Egg and Chicken Sausage Skillet Breakfast
- 2 eggs
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 3 stalks green onions diced
- 3 red and yellow baby bell peppers
- 1 Gilberts Craft Sausage Chicken Andouille Sausage diced
- 1/8 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet, lightly coated with cooking spray - add the vegetables.
- Saute the vegetables for several minutes, until they start to soften and brown.
- Add the diced chicken sausage - continue to cook to heat the sausage for several minutes.
- Crack 2 eggs on top - I break the yolks.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and a lid, and cook for 5 minutes on low heat until the egg is your desired doneness.
If you like savory breakfasts – here are a few of my favorites that you can try:
I invite you to follow me on Instagram @jenncooks
I would also like to invite you to join me on a 100 day challenge! It’s never too late to start – I’m on day 57!! Read about what the challenge is and why I started it in this blog post. Today is my weigh in and I was down another 3.7 pounds! The most since I started. My focus is on healthy habits – creating a lifestyle that I can live with for life 😄😄.