Making low carb sloppy joe’s is super easy! You probably have all the ingredients for it!
For my Weight Watcher Friends – use THIS LINK to add this to your recipe builder for how many points it is for you on the new updated #personalpoints program 2021!
Recently I was diagnosed with diabetes. Not a huge shock – my twin sister has had it for 20 years, and our Dad had it as well, so I knew the family history may catch up with me at some point. Meeting with my doctor, she has suggested watching my carbohydrate intake….which has been interesting!
You don’t really notice how many carbs are in things until you pay attention. I’m currently counting points on Weight Watchers – but now I’m double tracking using the www.loseit.com app. That’s been a lifesaver trying to figure this all out.
So my meal prepping has been a little different lately. I LOVE pasta and make it often, so that’s been taken off my meal prep. Luckily there are so many low carb Instagram accounts, Pinterest posts that focus on low carb cooking, I’ve found some really great recipes – including this low carb sloppy joe’s recipe from Cast Iron Keto.
I normally buy the Manwich brand, but reading the ingredients list, high fructose corn syrup is high on the list as well as 17 other ingredients.
This recipe for low carb sloppy joe’s has just the ground beef, spices and vegetables. Ready in about 20 minutes!
Low Carb Sloppy Joe’s
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter1 lb. ground beef (I used 93% lean grass fed beef)1 teaspoon chili powder1 teaspoon onion powder½ teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon salt½ tsp red pepper flakes¼ tsp black pepper4 red and yellow baby bell peppers minced½ medium white onion minced3 cloves garlic minced1 tablespoon tomato paste8 oz. canned tomato sauce1 teaspoon brown sugar1 teaspoon yellow mustard½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the ground beef and let cook, untouched for 4 minutes.
- Break up the ground beef, browning on all sides.
- Add the spices and vegetables and stir to combine
- Add the tomato paste and tomato sauce
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat
I’m in the process of looking at the recipes on my sight and finding dishes I made that are already lower in carb. For example, I have a ton of CHICKEN recipes. Chicken and ground beef are the 2 protein sources I use most.
Branching out into new recipes has been fun and I will definitely share my journey as I go on. Please leave a comment if you have any favorite low carb recipes – I would love any suggestions you have! And tag me on Instagram @jenncooks if you make this – I would love to see it!