I was thinking of what to make as a side for my lunch, when I looked in my fridge and saw I had half a small white onion that needed to be used up and thought of making onion rings…but I didn’t want to make a batter, or breading, so these crispy baked cheesy onion rings was a perfect quick side!
What kind of onion should I use to make Crispy Baked Cheesy Onion Rings?
I used white onion, but yellow onion or even better a vidalia onion would be great! Vidalia onions are sweeter and normally used for onion rings.
What kind of cheese can I use?
I used shredded mozarella – but sharp cheddar, pepper jack, shredded parmesan would be excellent alternatives!
Crispy Baked Cheesy Onion Rings
- 1/2 small white onion sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. Daks steakhouse seasoning (or seasoning of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a baking sheet add parchment paper
- Take a heaping tablespoon of cheese, place 1 round of onion on top, add another tablespoon of cheese on top.
- Repeat until you run out of cheese - I got 6 onion rings
- Sprinkle with Daks steakhouse seasoning
- Bake for 10-12 minutes - check to make sure the cheese isn't getting too dark
- Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce
A lot of times when people are on a weight loss journey, they think they can’t have things like cheese, but for me cheese is life! LOL – You just have to balance it in with your day and you will see, a little cheese goes a long way!
Some of my favorite cheeses that are amazing:
Fat free feta cheese– did you know that fat free feta cheese is ZERO points on Weight Watchers? I add them to salads, in wraps, with scrambled eggs.
Sargento brand light cheese slices – pepper jack is my favorite and only 2 points a slice – I use this for my burgers, or grilled cheese.
Reduced fat ricotta cheese – 1/3 cup is only 4 points on Weight Watchers – great for lasagna roll ups, add it to your pasta sauce, or the best way – ricotta toast! Toast a slice of sourdough bread, add ricotta, lemon zest, everything but the bagel seasoning!
Here are some other snack ideas for you:
Leave a comment with any questions, and follow me on Instagram @jenncooks