Eating salads while you are trying to lose weight can get tiresome after a while. To be honest – I don’t eat big salads every day while on my weight loss journey – but if I do – this is the one I want. I will show you how to make blackened chicken to make your salad go from zero to hero!
How do you make blackened chicken from home?
The best part of this recipe is you probably have all the spices on hand to make it! Paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, basil, oregano, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. If you don’t wany to buy all those spices, did you know you can buy spices from the bulk aisle at Whole Foods?
I’ve gone to Whole Foods bulk spice aisle and bought 1-2 tablespoons of a spice I needed. That way if you are buying spices you don’t normally have – you can save a ton of $$.
Blackened Chicken Salad
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- In a jar add all the spices and shake well. This recipe for blackened seasoning is for 4 chicken breasts. Double or Triple the recipe to have more on hand for next time!
- Flatten each chicken breast so they are the same height.
- Sprinkle the blackened seasoning on both sides of each chicken breast.
- In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken – and cook on one side for 4 minutes – DO NOT MOVE! This gives you a great sear on the outside.
- Flip and cook 4-5 minutes longer – or until 165 degrees.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
Thinks outside the box for salad toppings!
Here are some other ideas for addins to your salad. Canned black beans, chick peas, lentils, fruits (I love apples and blueberries), parsnip, baby bok choy, baby broccoli, different kinds of peppers (jalapeno, poblano, baby bell peppers, all colors of bell peppers, watermelon radish, radishes, snap peas, peas, roasted corn. So many options!
Tag me on Instagram if you make this @jenncooks