This recipe started when I had egg roll wrappers that needed to be used before going bad. I took an inventory of my pantry and fridge and these Chicken and Black Bean Veggie Crunchy Egg Rolls were born! They turned out way better than I thought they would. Definitely putting these in my regular rotation.
This is a great meal to throw together too on a weeknight when you are short on tiume – or just don’t feel like cooking. The filling is not cooked, just dump all the ingredients in a bowl and stir. I used canned chicken – you could definitely sub shredded chicken in place of the canned chicken.
How do I get my egg rolls crispy?
I air fried mine – This is the air fryer I have – it’s great for 1-2 people and I use it all the time when I’m just making food for myself. If you don’t have an air fryer – don’t fret! These come out great in the oven too. Just spray with cooking spray and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes – flipping half way.
What other fillings could I use?
If you don’t like chicken, you can sub cooked ground beef, you could also use vegetarian meat crumbles. I have also made these just with vegetables (black beans, broccoli slaw, tomatoes, diced peppers and onions).
Are these spicy?
I added Trader Joes’ Green hot sauce – the next time you are at Trader Joes’ – pick up multiple bottles – my family loves it on everything! If you don’t like spicy – add 1/4 cup of your favorite mild salsa to the filling ingredients.
Chicken and Black Bean Veggie Crunchy Egg Rolls
- 1 10 oz. canned Chicken (in water)
- 1 laughing cow wedge pepper jack
- 1 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 baby bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 3 tbsp Trader Joes Green Dragon hot sauce (optional)
- 5 egg roll wrappers
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add the canned chicken (drained first) and black beans. Mash the black beans and break up the chicken so it looks shredded.
- Add the laughing cow cheese wedge and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Once the filling is done, add about 2 heaping tablespoons to an egg roll wrapper.
- Wet the sides with water and fold up the sides first, then roll up to create the egg roll. Spray with avocado cooking spray.
- Repeat with the rest of the filling - I got 5 out of my filling.
- Cook in the air fryer on 400 for 10-12 minutes, flipping half way.
- Serve with your favorite stir fry sauce.
Defintely tag me on Instagram @jenncooks if you make this. And save it to pinterest so you can refer to it when you need a tasty dinner idea!