I don’t know where the name of this dish came from, but growing up that’s what my parents called it. The only thing is when my Mom made it, I would ask her to have no chunks of onions in it! I make it all the time for my family and they really like it, and its healthy too!Ingredients:
- 1 lb. ground sirloin
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 small white onion, chopped fine
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped,
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Dash of salt, pepper
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) red pepper flakes
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni.
First, I cook the macaroni, drain and set aside. In a big pot, I saute the green pepper and onion and garlic in Pam cooking spray. Add the ground sirloin and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces. I drain most of the fat. Next, I add the 3 cans of tomatoes, the cooked macaroni, add the spices and cook for about 15 minutes on low heat stirring occasionally. It makes about 10 1 cup servings. Each 1 cup serving is approx. 191 calories, 6.9 fat and 2.8 fiber. It is so yummy and comforting on a cold night.Perfecto!