Before I post the recipe, I have a funny story to tell. I was making dinner last night, and I called my twin sister to talk about our day. She asked me what I was having for dinner, I said “spaghetti and meatballs” and she said, “I’m making spaghetti and meatballs too!” I love when twin powers activate like that! And we made our meatballs almost the same way too! You can see her version at her site at www.biz319.wordpress.com.
Now for the recipe for today!
I hardly ever make steak mostly because of the cost, and my kids aren’t huge fans of it, so I don’t get it very oftern. But every once in a while I have a craving for it. I love flank steak becuase it is more affordable and when you marinate it, it turns out great, plus it doesn’t take a lot of time to cook, so anyone can make this on a busy weekday.
For the marinade:
- 2 TB canola oil
- 6 TB chicken stock
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 green onions, (the white and green) cut into thin diagonal slices
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak
- Combine canola oil, chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, garlic and worcesthershire sauce in a medium bowl with a whisk; set aside.
- Remove any visible fat from the steak, lightly score the meat with a serrated knife, cutting about 1/4 inch into the meat in a criss cross pattern on both sides.
- Put the steak in a plastic container, cover and marinate overnight. (So you could do this the night before and be ready for dinner the next day!)
Yields 6 servings, each 3 0z. of cooked steak is 232 calories, 9 grams of fat and .2 fiber
I made a baked potato and salad on the side and it was fantastic!